how to know the internal representation of a column of clob type

From: Rui Zhang <jackchang1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 06:30:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi group,

I was trying to figure out the internal representation of the clob type column to see if it is UTF8 encoded, but couldn't find any functions (like dump function provided for varchar2 type colomn) or packages. Here is the procedure I used, but I am not sure if it gives me the actual internal representation. I read the clob to a varchar2 variable and dump it to hex code. Thank you!

DECLARE
 i1 CLOB;
 len NUMBER;
 my_vr varchar2(1000);
 my_vr2 varchar2(1000);
BEGIN
  SELECT action_log
  INTO i1
  FROM table1
  WHERE id = '742';

  len := dbms_lob.getlength(i1);
  dbms_output.put_line('Column Length: ' || TO_CHAR(len));   dbms_lob.read(i1, len,1,my_vr);

  select dump(my_vr, 16)
  into my_vr2
  from dual;

  dbms_output.put_line(my_vr2);