Re: Cannot Start Listener in 10g, But Can in 9i

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:16:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 15, 9:06 am, "if_inves..._at_yahoo.com" <basis_consult..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded a Win2000 (SP4) server from Oracle 9i to 10.2.0.4. (It is a
> SAP system, not
> supported for Ora11).
>
> The upgrade went well. I used DBUA. I can start the database in 10g.
>
> However, when I try to start the listener, the response is a set of
> TNS errors:
> (TNS-12542: TNS:address already in use,  TNS-12560: TNS:protocol
> adapter error,
>  TNS-00512: Address already in use).
>
> I checked "netstat -a" , the port is free and few connections are
> being used. I
> tried changing ports, etc..., but the problem persists.
>
> The interesting thing is that the listener works when I  "switch it"
> to the 9i
> version.
>
> That is, I change the env. variables ORACLE_HOME and the registry
> settings ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_HOME_NAME, ORACLE_GROUP_NAME
> to point to 9i.
>
> I log off and on, and start the listener from <Oracle_9i home>\bin.
> (Because
> the 10g version is on the path).
>
> Then, the listener start and stops without any problems, using the
> same port
> as in 10g. I make sure that the listener is stopped.
>
> However, when I switch the env. variable and the regsitry settings
> back to 10g,
> in 10g I can start the database, but the listener has the 'TNS"
> errors, previously
> mentioned.
>
> Also, I copied the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora to the <10g Home>
> \network\admin,
> and adapted them for the new Oracle Home.

You may have made some errors here. Since it is complaining about protocol, perhaps it is the listener.ora line where it says your hostname. Or perhaps there is a servicename problem. What kind of naming are you using, anyways? Do you have multiple address lines in your address list? What happens if you rename listener.ora and just let it use defaults?

Try installing XE and see what listener.ora it come up with (on a different box to avoid the problems your original box may have from messed up registry and environment).

Also, do you have a sqlnet.ora?

> Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

It's fairly common to have invisible mistakes when manually modifying these files. See what the netca tool comes up with.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.patspapers.com/blog/item/what_if_everybody_flushed_at_once_Edmonton_water_gold_medal_hockey_game/