Re: New Procedurs With Version# In Name

From: scottgamble_at_comcast.net <zifnabiom_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 05:01:18 -0800 (PST)

In a previous life I was in a situation where something similar had been done.

There were 2 ids for each application. The ids had private synonyms to a version of the
stored procs.

When functionality of the procedure was changing a new version went through all the test cycles etc and was put in with a new version number. (No change to the application yet).

The id that the application currently was not using had its private synonyms updated to the new version of the stored proc.

One application server was changed to use the new id and thus the new stored procedure.
If there were no issues with that app server the next day all the app servers were changed to use the new id. The old id was then updated in a day or so. I do not remember how the functionality change was handled within the application itself.

Was a lot of manual work but it did work fairly well for rolling out new versions and not forcing all apps using the procedure to change. They could stay happily using the old version until they were ready to change.