Re: New Procedurs With Version# In Name

From: Mladen Gogala <no_at_email.here.invalid>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:16:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:13:34 -0800, Mark D Powell wrote:

> Jeff, I will join with the other posters who have made several fine
> suggestions and suggest you tell your developers that what they want is
> not the way code changes should be managed.
>
> You need a combination of source code control and change control
> procedures in place that control the process by which code is marked for
> update, changed, tested, and promoted. A paper trail showing that these
> procedures are followed must be maintained.
>
> You should also have an emergency change procedure documented.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

There is a sad situation if that is being instituted by the DBA. These things are usually signed off by the CIO and carved into stone tablets for later reuse. The commandments should read like this:

Nothing shalt be promoted to the group schema unless it has been committed to the version system.

Thou shalt put meaningful comments into your code.

Thou shalt not use "select count(*)" to establish existence.

There are many, many more. Modern stone tablets can take much more than 10 commandments.

DBA is not the person with enough authority to introduce the development process to the company. Management has to do that.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com