Re: New Procedurs With Version# In Name

From: David Rolfe <dwrolfe_aioe_at_orindasoft.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:59:12 +0000

jeffchirco_at_gmail.com wrote:
> So when my developers need to make a change to a procedure, instead of
> just recompiling the procedure they want to create a new procedure
> named like sp_procedure2 and then use the new procedure in their
> application.
> They want to do this so that they don't mess up any other application
> that might be calling the same procedure. And then when they can get
> around to updating the other applications they will use the new
> procedure. I was wondering if anybody else does this and what you
> guys think. I am against it but I am getting overruled. My database
> will look confusing, source safe will be confusing, and now I have to
> maintain multiple procedures when something needs to change.

This whole idea is odd because it assumes the tables themselves will never change... I wholeheartedly agree that CVS would be better, but another alternative would be to create a new schema, create private synonyms for all the tables and let your developers knock themselves out with their creativity in their own padded cell....

David Rolfe
Orinda Software
Dublin, Ireland

Orinda Software make "OrindaBuild", a Java Web Service Generator for Oracle. Received on Thu Mar 11 2010 - 00:59:12 CST

Original text of this message