Re: New Procedurs With Version# In Name

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_no.address.invalid>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 05:17:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:07:50 -0800, jeffchirco_at_gmail.com wrote:

> So when my developers need to make a change to a procedure, instead of
> just recompiling the procedure they want to create a new procedure named
> like sp_procedure2 and then use the new procedure in their application.

Have your developers ever heard of something called "versioning system"? There are several of those which are widely used. The names you will most frequently encounter are git, svn and CVS. Those things can really help with versions, branches and revisions. There are also commercial products which do the same thing, but with a better GUI. Personally, I think that GUI is for wimps, especially when it comes to versioning systems. One should learn the CVS syntax by heart and know how to diff, how to see the revision log, check in a new version, merge 2 branches etc.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com