Re: ORA-00470: LGWR process terminated with error

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:54:01 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 10, 1:08 pm, Mladen Gogala <n..._at_email.here.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:02:33 -0800, joel garry wrote:
> > Performance of a crashed instance is always the worst degradation.
>
> I beg to differ. If the database crashes, all your queries finish
> instantly. I would even suggest that database crash is the ultimate thing
> in application tuning.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

Depends what your definition of is is. I've seen apps that don't tell the user the db has gone away until they do some more input or tcp times out and they get a "server connection lost" error. Though the more common issue is they X out the client because they entered too broad of a filter or are otherwise impatient, and happily start another, blissfully unaware they are giving the server a stress-test workout.

But of course, worse degradation is obscure data corruption over a period of time. So maybe a crash isn't so bad, at least it's recoverable. Unless of course you have some weirdo virtualization that lies to Oracle about having written redo.

Note to John, about this group: http://dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

Welcome!

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
A snarky answer I managed to forbear on forums:

> Our oracle server *SYS(as sysdba)* user *logon by given any password*.
>
> We are shocking and need to be arrested this issue immediately as its very danger.
> I have altered the user "SYS" with new password. Eventhough, still its logon by using any password.
>
> Kindly guide / help me to address this issue ASAP.
>
> Thanks,
> Orahar.
I agree, your DBA needs to be arrested immediately before cardiac damage ensues.