Re: ORA-00470: LGWR process terminated with error

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:33:52 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 10, 9:02 am, Johne_uk <edg..._at_tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Actually I was looking for some assistance on determining what is
> killing the LGWR process. Oracle do not provide OS support ! I thought
> the question was clear enough but obviously not. Thanks for the
> comment though as its must have wasted five minutes.

If you have access to Oracle support (as you stated), you should be able to review the following Metalink documents: Doc ID 1022782.6 - ORA-447, ORA-470 Found in PMON Trace File, Database Crashed
Doc ID 431246.1 - Pmon terminated instance due to LGWR termination ORA-470
Doc ID 874832.1 - LNS: Standby redo logfile ,DB Crash Doc ID 745198.1 - RAC DATABASE HANGS WHEN RMAN IS STARTED Doc ID 1029808.6 - BACKGROUND PROCESS DIES, NO TRACE FILE GENERATED Doc ID 564830.1 - ORA-00470 Error Creating 20GB Tablespace Doc ID 1016959.102 - HP-UX: DB CRASH. ALERT LOG SHOWS NO ERRORS, BUT TRC FILES CREATED. Some of the documents are specific to other operating systems, but may provide you with clues that will help resolve the problem. One of the articles mentioned that the problem could be caused by a slow file system. Several of the articles indicated that the error may be caused by exceeding the operating system limit for the maximum number of open files.

Charles Hooper
Co-author of "Expert Oracle Practices: Oracle Database Administration from the Oak Table"
http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Wed Mar 10 2010 - 09:33:52 CST

Original text of this message