Re: Cannot change ARCHIVELOG-MODE via EM

From: gs <gs_at_gs.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:37:15 GMT

John Hurley wrote:
> On Mar 8, 6:16 pm, gs <g..._at_gs.com> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>>> Okay then  ... the "old old" EM ... I haven't used that one in a long
>>> time.
>>> The terminology people use gets a little confusing trying to sort out
>>> old EM from new OEM thru dbconsole from new OEM thru grid control ...
>> I hate the dbconsole - just in case you were wondering.. having a look
>> at Oracle SQL Developer for a quick & easy gui for checking things as I
>> speak - not too impressed (yet)

> I am still a Toad user although that product has become kind of
> bloated over the years. Our developers are using SQL Developer
> because of the cost ( or lack thereof ).
>
> Mladen made an excellent point here though ... when switching between
> archive log modes you really want to do it outside of a GUI.

I always use command line for switching archive on/off - I will admit using EM in 9i once just to see how well it worked, but I just feel much more comfortable using command line rather than wondering if the GUI is really doing something or just sitting there hung.

One thing I don't like about SQL developer is you need to be logged in as the user whose schema you want to see, which is a pain when you want to see tables from different schemas in the same session. Unless I am missing something, the only way to do this in SD is disconnect/reconnect Received on Tue Mar 09 2010 - 08:37:15 CST

Original text of this message