Re: Spying on queries from application?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:19:48 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 4, 10:31 am, jodleren <sonn..._at_hot.ee> wrote:
> > > We have a management programme, which uses Oracle DB.
> > > We (I) also make some intranet stuff etc for this system, which uses
> > > the same DB.
>
> > > Now I need to track what this programme does, meaning I want to know
> > > which tables it uses etc for certain actions. The programme is not
> > > made by us, we just have our own additions.
> > > Therefore I need to copy some of that action.
>
> > > Is there a spy that can give me that?
> > > The programme uses ODBC. My driver is 10.2. I dont know about the DB
> > > version.
> > You can set an after login database trigger and activate low level
> > tracing if needed.
>
> > The trace files can get very big and you don't want to do this for
> > many sessions probably.
>
> > Google around for things like "oracle database login trigger" and/or
> > "10046 trace" ... proceed cautiously and test out everything in a test
> > environment before even thinking about possibly doing this in a live
> > prod environment.
>
> > Have you talked to your DBA's about the information that you need?
>
> I have access to the database, but as a newbie....
> I found thishttp://www.dba-oracle.com/t_10046_enable_trace.htm
>
> I use Borland Database Explorer, and using
> alter system set timed_statistics=true
> then
>
>   ALTER SYSTEM SET
> EVENT='10046 trace name context forever, level 12'
> SCOPE=spfile;
>
> nut should I change the name?
>
> I get data where I can see they are from my dbexplore.exe, and I can
> see my queries there - but only after I changed "name" to the user
> name I used to login.
> The real application does not leave anything - it logs in using
> another username, and I have tried to change the alter system
> accodingly, but that fails.
>
> What do I do wrong?

You need to figure out the scope of what you are doing. Since you want to trace the session of the particular username, you should trace that particular session, not the entire system. As a newbie, you probably don't want to messing around with the spfile until you understand exactly what you are doing.

> Otherwise I am well ahead, defenately something I will use in the
> future...
>
> I have used this some times and I get some ~4 trc files... is that
> normal?
>
> WBR
> Sonnich
>
> oh - can I change the name of the spfile? from sql?

What exactly do you intend to accomplish by doing this?

You should get into the concepts manual in the docs to understand a few more basic things. What is a database in ODBC-speak is a different concept than in Oracle. You are not in Borland anymore.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.royrogers.com/announcement.html