Re: The penny hasn't dropped yet...

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:19:29 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 4, 7:53 am, Mladen Gogala <n..._at_email.here.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 05:51:37 -0800, John Hurley wrote:
> > You don't really have any choice about installing it ... it comes with
> > the software.  New patchsets and maintenance that goes into the system
> > keeps updating it.
>
> Actually, you do. I consistently refuse to give it my CSI.

That's not good enough. It still keeps running and trying to call home by default. Just 'cause it doesn't succeed doesn't mean you don't have to actively configure it to turn it off. So have you figured out all the things it is doing and all the resources it is taking up? (That's the editorial ranting you, not you in particular).

From the readme:

  • begin inclusion

Enabling/Disabling collection of IP and MAC addresses:

With the 10.2.5.0.0 release of Oracle Configuration Manager, the user now
has the ability to disable the collection of specific configuration items. The
only two configuration items that can be disabled are the collection of the
host IP address and the Network Interface MAC accress. By default, these
configuration items are collected.

To disable their collection, add a property to the collector.properties file
in $ORACLE_HOME/ccr/config.

Add the following line to disable the collection of the host IP address:

    ccr.metric.host.ecm_hw_nic.inet_address=false

Add the following line to disable the Network Interface MAC address collection:

    ccr.metric.host.ecm_hw_nic.mac_address=false

The metric(s) are re-enabled by removing the corresponding line from the
collector.properties file.

  • End inclusion

Did not giving the CSI prevent /oracle/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/ ccr/config/default/targets.xml from having your hostname? Have you checked where ccr.endpoint points to in ccr.properties? (If I were a bad guy, perhaps that's where I'd go to make your system give me your information. If I knew how it worked). How about those funnily named xml files in ccr/state?

find $ORACLE_HOME/ccr -exec grep -l db_users {} \; -exec ll {} \;

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Well, Oracle me to tears! http://weblogs.java.net/blog/2009/06/03/what-larry-said-ill-oracle-you