Re: The penny hasn't dropped yet...

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 05:51:37 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 3, 4:50 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> John, please!  I am *fully* aware of how OCM can be run:  I installed
> and examined it AGES ago. It is a viral tool. It has no place ANYWHERE
> in a modern data centre. Period.

Chill dude. Your posting here made it a little unclear to me at least what you were aware of here.

You don't really have any choice about installing it ... it comes with the software. New patchsets and maintenance that goes into the system keeps updating it.

About the only choices that we have here is how we configure it ... if we configure it ... and if we use it ... how we use it.

> > Since you can gather the information disconnected you are free to look
> > at all this information before you ship it into Oracle.
>
> I am not even remotely interested in wasting my time filtering what is
> sent to Oracle: my employer doesn't pay me to do Oracle's work. Is
> that clear?

If your employer pays you to support Oracle databases then anything relevant to Oracle support probably comes under your discretion in some regard. What you choose to do is obviously up to you.

> > As long as Oracle support makes up the rules about "necessary"
> > information ... well there's not much we can do if we need them to
> > work on an SR.
>
> Guess what: we are the paying client of a service, we make the rules.
> Basic law of business, as well as common law.
> Oracle better not forget that...

Maybe we don't speak the same language apparently.

I don't see anyone here arguing against the idea that we don't like what has been forced on us.

> > You can try going up the support foodchain without supplying it.
>
> You bet.  And I can also make my next support payment dependent on
> Oracle changing their attitude.

The unfortunate situation is that Oracle customers need a support contract to be able to download patches/patchset updates/patchsets along with new releases etc. Received on Thu Mar 04 2010 - 07:51:37 CST

Original text of this message