Re: Spying on queries from application?

From: Randolf Geist <mahrah_at_web.de>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 00:34:07 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 3, 3:51 pm, jodleren <sonn..._at_hot.ee> wrote:
> We have a management programme, which uses Oracle DB.
> We (I) also make some intranet stuff etc for this system, which uses
> the same DB.
>
> Now I need to track what this programme does, meaning I want to know
> which tables it uses etc for certain actions. The programme is not
> made by us, we just have our own additions.
> Therefore I need to copy some of that action.
>
> Is there a spy that can give me that?
> The programme uses ODBC. My driver is 10.2. I dont know about the DB
> version.

If your ODBC version is recent enough, then you can also use the ODBC trace facility that writes the ODBC calls including the SQLs I think to a log file. You can enable this in the ODBC administrator.

Of course this is something that you would need to do on each client computer that you want to trace and the trace file will be written by the client - the Oracle database tracing facility is more flexible and allows you even to enable the tracing for an already connected session. The trace files will however reside on the database server rather than on the client.

Regards,
Randolf

Oracle related stuff blog:
http://oracle-randolf.blogspot.com/

Co-author of the "OakTable Expert Oracle Practices" book: http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430226684 http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Oracle-Practices-Database-Administration/dp/1430226684 Received on Thu Mar 04 2010 - 02:34:07 CST

Original text of this message