Re: The penny hasn't dropped yet...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:06:49 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 4, 12:52 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> They're really pushing it hard! They want to be able to charge for
> licenses automatically. The results are really beginning to show, on the
> OUG meetings first. The NYOUG in the last October was a disaster, pure
> marketing pitch, mostly by Oracle and a few satellites. None of my
> colleagues was there, it was a loss of time. I will not attend the spring
> meeting. I don't know of any DBA (v1.0, of course) who is not

Oh, the OUG has stopped being minimally relevant years ago. Once it was opened to control by external parties to peddle their wares and services instead of being run by users, the end of its usefulness was obvious.
Only fools who thought it was a "great marketing avenue" kept showing up: real users left years ago.
We formed a new dba one last year and it's been a success, with relevant matters being discussed and frequent meetings. Much more useful. Thank Pythian for that.
Of course Oracle hasn't even offered to help, although their folks seem to be keen to show up and eat pizza at our expense...

> practices too. Selling the product and then charging for the ability to
> tune it is morally dubious, to say the least. That is the primary reason

That one is such a customer relations disaster! I wonder who is the genius that thought that one up and if he/she has been called to explain the outcome.
But knowing how things work in big corporations, probably a VP by now...

> license. Instead of a nice company that I was proud to recommend to my
> management, Oracle became a corporate bully that I am trying to avoid at
> all costs, whenever I can. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Ah well: not just you, I'm sure... Received on Wed Mar 03 2010 - 16:06:49 CST

Original text of this message