Re: Oracle does it again

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 01:12:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 16:29:48 -0800, John Hurley wrote:

> All my systems ( except one ... running 10.2.0.4 on solaris ) are
> running now on 11.1.0.7.1 ( linux ) and stable.
>
> No RAC anywhere.

If you discount RAC and use available components like Tomcat, JBoss, and EJB, there is very little that Oracle 11G can do and significantly cheaper 3rd party cannot do. The way I see things, RAC is the only thing that Oracle does have and the competition does not have. However, with partitioning, RAC, diagnostic & tuning pack, Oracle license costs as much as $50000/CPU and that is a heck of a steep price. In my opinion, if you want to load 40 tons of something and drive it for 100 miles, you need an 18-wheeler. If you need to your local store and buy a weekly supply of food & drink for your home, you can probably get away with a significantly smaller vehicle. The very same principle of the right tool for the right job applies here. Other databases are getting better and better and they can do more and more. One needs Oracle RDBMS only to do the heavy lifting, smaller stuff can be done by other databases. RAC is the only reason to go for Oracle RDBMS and not for something much, much cheaper like DB2, SQL*Server or Postgres. I am keeping an eye on Windows 7, if that proves to be a good and scalable OS and if Microsoft improves the OLTP capabilities of the SQL*Server, who knows, things may still go the Microsoft way. Postgres is also very potent open source DB, perfectly sufficient for the HR department of a medium size company. However, if one needs 24x7 client-facing robust OLTP database which has to have a near 99.99% uptime, and the ability to support hundreds of users, one still needs Oracle RAC.

--
http://mgogala.freehostia.com