Re: Oracle does it again

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:46:24 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 26, 1:35 pm, "Matthias Hoys" <a..._at_spam.com> wrote:
> "Mladen Gogala" <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I am trying to practice RAC upgrade. I installed and configured oracle
> > 10.2.0.4  single node RAC, downloaded and verified the installation
> > requests for 11.2.0 with the reasonable output of cluvfy and proceeded to
> > the installation. The software is now asking for "SCAN addresses". I was
> > barely able to convince my administrator to allocate me an additional
> > address for every RAC node, now I have to go to her and ask for more
> > addresses? WTF?
> > Oracle 10g RAC was a sheer disaster, plagued by the many bugs (couldn't
> > use multipath, vipca was legendary for being buggy) and the installation
> > was extremely hard. Instead of making a product that would be easy and
> > seamless to install, they have screwed it up to the hilt - again. I am
> > just out of my meeting with the CIO in which I recommended against
> > upgrading to 11g in the foreseeable future. I thought that Oracle will
> > not be able to make a more horrifying disaster than Oracle10g was, but
> > they outdid themselves. I wonder who was the effing idiot that has
> > designed the product. Oracle is definitely going downhill.
>
> > --
> >http://mgogala.byethost5.com
>
> If you dislike Oracle's software so much, why don't you consider a career
> change? DB2 or MS SQL? Or Postgresql?
> No need to get frustrated on your job, there are plenty of possibilities in
> IT.
>
> Matthias

I am sure that there is a career in pop-psychology awaiting you, somewhere down the road. As for me, I am using oracle for more than 21 years now and the changes I see are quite recent. Oracle10g RAC on Linux was only the beginning. After that came the fact there there is no 10.2.0.5 for 2 years now, then botched Metalink "upgrade", stopping publication of the internal information and now this. As for my career with other databases, you have a point there. I am a part of a pilot project to migrate several databases to Postgres. One of the databases has already been migrated to Postgres and the project is a success. If that's what Oracle wants me to do, I will gladly start exploring the possibility of migrating RAC configurations to DB2 which has something very similar to RAC.
Oracle RAC 11.2.0 is, in my opinion, a lousy product. I have been working with OPS in version 7 and version 8, I have installed and successfully maintained RAC in both 9i and 10g and I am fully qualified to call spade a spade. There's nothing personal here. Simply, Oracle Corp. has changed, it has become a Microsoft like entity. If you speak for the Oracle Corp. no problem, I will consider your advice. I am a DBA 1.0, first and foremost. Oracle RAC 11.2.0 is a lousy product. Metalink is a disaster. Oracle 10g RAC for Linux is a disaster. I am afraid that Oracle Corp. has lost a lot credibility, at least as far as I am concerned. My advice to you is to forgo upgrade to RAC 11.2.0, at least as long as the product is like it is now. You may want to pursue a career in pop-psychology or go to oracle-l where your feelings will be protected. Received on Fri Feb 26 2010 - 13:46:24 CST

Original text of this message