Re: Loooooong wait to shutdown Oracle immediate on Linux

From: Michel Cadot <micadot{at}altern{dot}org>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:48:31 +0100

"Jia Lu" <roka100_at_gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news: 73258da1-2e2d-4037-8c9f-3d4b3e4749cc_at_v20g2000prb.googlegroups.com...
| hi all
|
| I have oracle 10g and 11g online on linux.
| But after 1 month when I do shutdown immediate command, it took a
| long loooong time wait just like it freezed.
| Is there anyone have the same experience?
|
| Best Laurence Lu

Just waiting for the current transaction to rollback.

Database Administrator's Guide
3 Starting Up and Shutting Down
Section Shutting Down a Database
Paragraph Shutting Down with the IMMEDIATE Clause http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/start.htm#sthref589

<quote>
Immediate database shutdown proceeds with the following conditions:

  a.. No new connections are allowed, nor are new transactions allowed to be started, after the statement is issued.

  b.. Any uncommitted transactions are rolled back. (If long uncommitted transactions exist, this method of shutdown might not complete quickly, despite its name.)

  c.. Oracle Database does not wait for users currently connected to the database to disconnect. The database implicitly rolls back active transactions and disconnects all connected users.

</quote>

Regards
Michel Received on Wed Feb 24 2010 - 09:48:31 CST

Original text of this message