Re: sqlldr not recognizing a file without an extension on Solaris

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 06:02:36 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 18, 11:38 pm, z1hou1 <z1h..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Versions of db and o/s
> Oracle version 10.2.0.4
> Solaris 8
>
> At the moment, the file is presented the way it is and I would like to
> explore the possibility that sqlldr can recognize a file without a "."
> or an extension. If there is absolutely no way that sqlldr cannot
> recognize a file with an extension, or ends with a ".", I will
> certainly rename the file before processing again st sqlldr.
>
> Regards,
> z1hou1

From the Oracle 10.2 release documentation:

"Examples of INFILE Syntax
The following list shows different ways you can specify INFILE syntax:

Data contained in the control file itself:

INFILE * Data contained in a file named sample with a default extension of .dat:

INFILE sample

Data contained in a file named datafile.dat with a full path specified:

INFILE 'c:/topdir/subdir/datafile.dat' "

Notice that Oracle specifies SQL*Loader looks for data files with a default extension of .dat; also note that Oracle on Windows can exhibit behaviour outside of the norm due to the differences between how Windows 'works ' and how other operating systems function.

What prevents you from writing a shell script to do the following:

  1. Temporarily rename the file with a .dat extension
  2. Invoke SQL*Loader
  3. Rename the file back to its original name

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Feb 19 2010 - 08:02:36 CST

Original text of this message