Re: rant - does oracle know how to design a website?

From: mhoys <matthias.hoys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 02:17:01 -0800 (PST)

> By the way (bit off topic): did anyone notice the emerging usage of
> "&apos;" on websites? And how IE8 does not understand this?
>
> Shakespeare

I was not really aware of this problem until now (mainly using Firefox) but indeed, I could reproduce this on IE8. It appears that this was already a problem in IE7. This is what I found as explanation:

"The named character reference &apos; (the apostrophe, U+0027) was introduced in XML 1.0 but does not appear in HTML. Authors should therefore use &#39; instead of &apos; to work as expected in HTML 4 user agents."

So, Internet Exploder is more correct than Firefox?

Matthias Received on Tue Feb 09 2010 - 04:17:01 CST

Original text of this message