Re: rant - does oracle know how to design a website?

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 22:51:09 +0100

"gs" <gs_at_gs.com> wrote in message news:SDWbn.62938$Db2.43303_at_edtnps83...
>I think I see the method behind the new metalink, or "my oracle support"
>for that matter. Make it as frustratingly clunky and user unfriendly as
>humanly (or not) possible, and support calls will go down, along with that
>"unsatisfied" support calls. I know for me it is a last resort after I have
>exhausted all other avenues.
>
> Case in point - we are installing 11G on a windows 2003 server, the
> database is going to be spatial and the vendor doesn't support (for
> reasons known only to them) windows 2008 yet. Anyway, thats not my point..
> I'm trying to find out if 11G R1 is certified on Windows 2003 64 bit R2,
> so I go to the 11G database page to view the certification matrix like I
> always do (did) Ah, here is the link, on the downloads page for the
> database, right where it says "Review the certification matrix for this
> product here." But wait, clicking on the link brings up a page saying all
> certification information is now on My Oracle Support website.. Ok, go to
> my support page, enter in "11G windows certification matrix" - what do I
> get? A list of 8 or so options, on about generic connectivity on windows
> or linux 64 bit platforms, something about what platforms oracle messaging
> gateway is available on, and a real relevant one: "Oracle® Database on
> Unix AIX®,HP-UX®,Linux®,Mac OS® X,Solaris®,Tru64 Unix® Operating Systems
> (Customer Recommended)"
>

> So, play with search terms a bit, I get links on installing 8i on windows
> NT, a windows 98/ME certification article, running 9i on windows 2000 etc
> etc etc..
>
> Lot's of information on patchsets etc., but 10 minutes later I still can't
> find an 11G windows certification matrix.
>
> Who designs this infrastructure? Do they think all the cool
> sliding/expanding/contracting menus and various error pages are what
> people want??
>
> Anyway, at least I feel better now, back to looking, give it another 5
> minutes them I'm logging an SR..
>
> Wish me luck

Recently I was looking for the latest patch set for APEX - but the search on MOS always returned zero results.
Luckily, I could find the patch set number on a blog and I entered that one directly - now the patch set did show up. Hail to the blogs!!!

Matthias Received on Mon Feb 08 2010 - 15:51:09 CST

Original text of this message