Re: rant - does oracle know how to design a website?

From: gs <gs_at_gs.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:13:20 GMT

Shakespeare wrote:
> Op 8-2-2010 17:06, gs schreef:

>> I think I see the method behind the new metalink, or "my oracle support"
>> for that matter. Make it as frustratingly clunky and user unfriendly as
>> humanly (or not) possible, and support calls will go down, along with
>> that "unsatisfied" support calls. I know for me it is a last resort
>> after I have exhausted all other avenues.
>>
>> Case in point - we are installing 11G on a windows 2003 server, the
>> database is going to be spatial and the vendor doesn't support (for
>> reasons known only to them) windows 2008 yet. Anyway, thats not my
>> point.. I'm trying to find out if 11G R1 is certified on Windows 2003 64
>> bit R2, so I go to the 11G database page to view the certification
>> matrix like I always do (did) Ah, here is the link, on the downloads
>> page for the database, right where it says "Review the certification
>> matrix for this product here." But wait, clicking on the link brings up
>> a page saying all certification information is now on My Oracle Support
>> website.. Ok, go to my support page, enter in "11G windows certification
>> matrix" - what do I get? A list of 8 or so options, on about generic
>> connectivity on windows or linux 64 bit platforms, something about what
>> platforms oracle messaging gateway is available on, and a real relevant
>> one: "Oracle® Database on Unix AIX®,HP-UX®,Linux®,Mac OS®
>> X,Solaris®,Tru64 Unix® Operating Systems (Customer Recommended)"
>>

>> So, play with search terms a bit, I get links on installing 8i on
>> windows NT, a windows 98/ME certification article, running 9i on windows
>> 2000 etc etc etc..
>>
>> Lot's of information on patchsets etc., but 10 minutes later I still
>> can't find an 11G windows certification matrix.
>>
>> Who designs this infrastructure? Do they think all the cool
>> sliding/expanding/contracting menus and various error pages are what
>> people want??
>>
>> Anyway, at least I feel better now, back to looking, give it another 5
>> minutes them I'm logging an SR..
>>
>> Wish me luck
>
> Enter the first 5 entries (database, database, database, enterprise
> edition, 11gr2) and your platform (first enty only) and you get a result
> ('planned')
>
> Shakespeare

tried that, get page with 0 results, which means either they cant find anything or 11GR1 isn't supported on windows 2003 64..

back to my original point - what was wrong with the old matrix you could get on the download page while you were there? This new support page is ok with SR's (finally) but if you are searching for something you get the impression that the sites search engine was designed by someone that just discovered the joys of flash and crystal meth - at the same time.. Received on Mon Feb 08 2010 - 11:13:20 CST

Original text of this message