Re: rant - does oracle know how to design a website?

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:27:02 +0100

Op 8-2-2010 17:06, gs schreef:
> I think I see the method behind the new metalink, or "my oracle support"
> for that matter. Make it as frustratingly clunky and user unfriendly as
> humanly (or not) possible, and support calls will go down, along with
> that "unsatisfied" support calls. I know for me it is a last resort
> after I have exhausted all other avenues.
>
> Case in point - we are installing 11G on a windows 2003 server, the
> database is going to be spatial and the vendor doesn't support (for
> reasons known only to them) windows 2008 yet. Anyway, thats not my
> point.. I'm trying to find out if 11G R1 is certified on Windows 2003 64
> bit R2, so I go to the 11G database page to view the certification
> matrix like I always do (did) Ah, here is the link, on the downloads
> page for the database, right where it says "Review the certification
> matrix for this product here." But wait, clicking on the link brings up
> a page saying all certification information is now on My Oracle Support
> website.. Ok, go to my support page, enter in "11G windows certification
> matrix" - what do I get? A list of 8 or so options, on about generic
> connectivity on windows or linux 64 bit platforms, something about what
> platforms oracle messaging gateway is available on, and a real relevant
> one: "Oracle® Database on Unix AIX®,HP-UX®,Linux®,Mac OS®
> X,Solaris®,Tru64 Unix® Operating Systems (Customer Recommended)"
>

> So, play with search terms a bit, I get links on installing 8i on
> windows NT, a windows 98/ME certification article, running 9i on windows
> 2000 etc etc etc..
>
> Lot's of information on patchsets etc., but 10 minutes later I still
> can't find an 11G windows certification matrix.
>
> Who designs this infrastructure? Do they think all the cool
> sliding/expanding/contracting menus and various error pages are what
> people want??
>
> Anyway, at least I feel better now, back to looking, give it another 5
> minutes them I'm logging an SR..
>
> Wish me luck

Did you notice: "TIP: Click 'Tips for Finding Certifications' for search tips"

So : A tip for a place to get tips. WOW!

See:

https://support.oracle.com/CSP/ui/flash.html#tab=Certification(page=Certification&id=g5fgutcu()),(page=CertificationSearch&id=g5fh4mcp())

or shorthanded:

http://bit.ly/certified2003

Shakespeare Received on Mon Feb 08 2010 - 10:27:02 CST

Original text of this message