Re: database network performance requirements

From: Frank van Bortel <>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:00:29 +0100

Ryan_Hoffman wrote:
> I'm doing some research on network performance requirements for
> database applications. I was wondering if anyone in this group would
> be willing to share their opinions regarding specific values that
> should be used as targets (latency/delay, jitter, packet loss).
> Various vendor documentation provides some guidelines (latency: Oracle
> SYNC = ≤ 10 ms, SQL Clustering ≤ 100 ms; loss: Oracle On Demand ≤
> 0.1%). I was hoping to hear what database administrators look for
> when purchasing wide area network services.
> Thanks!

Never heard any DBA being consulted before LAN and/or WAN purchases.
DBA's usually learn to live with the "It's the database that's performing badly!" accusations afterwards. By then, the seagull known as interim manager or sales consultant is flown.

Regards, Frank van Bortel

Topposting in Usenet groups I regard as offensive - I will not reply