Re: Optimizer issue in 11g

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 08:41:12 -0000

The obvious guess is that there is some variation in bind variables used to run the query, and someone uses a value that produces a plan that's good for them but bad for everyone else.

Since you have execution plans that take hours to complete you should have time to query v$sql_plan to find the bind variables used to generate the plan. If you can do the same when a good plan is running, this may give you a clue about the problem.

You'll need to find the SQL_ID of the statement then make a call the appropriate call to dbms_xplan

http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2006/11/09/dbms_xplan-in-10g/ http://rwijk.blogspot.com/2008/03/dbmsxplandisplaycursor.html

select * from table(dbms_xplan.display_cursor({your SQL_ID},null,'advanced'));
or simply
select * from table(dbms_xplan.display_cursor({your SQL_ID},null,'peeked_binds'));

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis