Re: Moving 10g database between platforms

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 20:19:02 -0600

"Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <> wrote in message
On Feb 1, 6:55 am, vsevolod afanassiev <>
> In 10g Oracle introduced ability to use transportable tablespaces to
> move
> data between different platforms if endian format is the same:
> ----------- ------------------------------ --------------
> 1 Solaris[tm] OE (32-bit) Big
> 2 Solaris[tm] OE (64-bit) Big
> 7 Microsoft Windows IA (32-bit) Little
> 10 Linux IA (32-bit) Little
> 6 AIX-Based Systems (64-bit) Big
> 3 HP-UX (64-bit) Big
> 5 HP Tru64 UNIX Little
> 4 HP-UX IA (64-bit) Big
> 11 Linux IA (64-bit) Little
> 15 HP Open VMS Little
> 8 Microsoft Windows IA (64-bit) Little
> 9 IBM zSeries Based Linux Big
> 13 Linux x86 64-bit Little
> 16 Apple Mac OS Big
> 12 Microsoft Windows x86 64-bit Little
> 17 Solaris Operating System (x86) Little
> 18 IBM Power Based Linux Big
> 20 Solaris Operating System (x86- Little
> 64)
> 19 HP IA Open VMS Little
> So it should be possible to use transportable tablespaces to move data
> from
> Sun SPARC Solaris to AIX.
> Question: is it possible to copy entire database including control
> files,
> redo logs, SYSTEM and SYSAUX tablespaces?
< Not using TTS. Provided that the endianness is the same, should be no
< problem simply copying the datafiles and redo logs (their format is
< the same across all platforms with the same endianness,) but you will
< most likely need to backup control file to trace on the source system
< and recreate it on the target system (possibly editing paths to the
< data files if you relocated them during copy.)

No, even AIX and Solaris/SPARC have the same endianness, you cannot just copy the files and expect it to work.

< You can also try RMAN DUPLICATE command (TFM says that the platform
< should be the same, but I am not sure if this restriction refers to
< the hardware and OS platform and is somehow enforced by checking and
< matching OS and CPU architecture, or duplicating to different hardware/
< OS combination with the same endianness is actually supported - never
< tried it myself.)

The hardware and OS platform must be the same. The manual is quite clear on that. Received on Mon Feb 01 2010 - 20:19:02 CST

Original text of this message