Re: Passing values between procedures(without actually passing them)

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:38:24 -0500

On 1/30/2010 12:02 PM, Galen Boyer wrote: ...
> I consider it superb, in relation to what you have available in any
> other database vendor, which is nil. I consider it superb because it is
> starting to allow us database guys to take back what should be handled
> in the database and maybe not lose the OR layer argument so much.
Uhmm.. small history lesson here.
This whole mess started with Ontos, Objectstore, Illustra and the likes. Then Informix bought Illustra and integrated it into IDS 9.

Any Informix lurker here will be ready to scratch your eyes out on that comment. ;-)

Oracle and DB2 for LUW scrambled to follow Informix since apparently OR was the fashionable thing to do (or so Stonebraker told us...). I was a coop student when I started working on OO (typed tables, views and structured types) 14(!) years ago (the ANSI syntax for typed views in SQL 99 is mostly based on my externals spec from 1998...).

On the DB2 for LUW side we have never improved anything on OO past DB2 7 because OO didn't catch on in the mainstream. Now I'm not intimately familiar with the time line of Oracle's OO support, but I do not recall any enhancements in Oracle 11 or 11R2. Wasn't most of this done by Oracle 9*?

Note that SQL Server completely side stepped OO, but they have deeply integrated CLR....that is far from a NIL.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau