Re: Run 32-bit and 64-bit listener at the same time on W3K 64-bit

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:25:55 +0100

bdbafh wrote:
> On Jan 20, 7:07 pm, "Terry Dykstra" <tddyks..._at_forestoil.ca> wrote:
>> I have Oracle 10.2.0.4-64 bit running on W3K-64-bit.
>> Now I need to run a 32-bit 9.2.0.5 (yes I know, ouch) on this box.  I cannot
>> get the listener to work.  I use batch file to specifically point to the 9.2
>> environment, but for some reason it points to the 64-bit version.
>> Any clues?
>>

> Regarding the database server software, running 32 bit Oracle database
> server software on a 64 bit OS is not supported.
> That's a good enough stopping condition for me.
> You need to run the 32 bit software on a 32 bit OS, be it on a
> physical or virtual server.
>
> -bdbafh

C'mon! No need for VM's!
Any idea how much 16-bit applications still run under MS Windows?!? Don't you think Microsoft emulates that, just like any OS vendor/producer?

_at_Terry: Vladimir is correct; apart from that: it is good practice to run the highest version of a utility (RMAN/listener/imp/exp).

Of course, if you would insist on a 9.2 listener: it can be done.

--

Regards, Frank van Bortel

Topposting in Usenet groups I regard as offensive - I will not reply