Re: SQLPLUS Question

From: Noons <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:24:04 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 22, 8:25 am, Jeremy <> wrote:

> Many thanks, the best and most relevant response to this thread. Though
> to be fair, I'm glad we all know how to spell each other's names now.

LOL! Indeed!

Just a small warning re some of these more "advanced" uses of sqlplus: it wouldn't be the first time features suddently change or stop working from release to release.
I am reminded of the very first 7 release, when sqlplus introduced return codes so we could trap errors from the shell: it worked, sort of. Took two patch release levels before it was stable enough to be used, then it broke again in first release of 8!

I recall standing in front of a Sun workstation showing the problem to Ken Jacobs and watching his jaw drop at how shaky the whole thing was. He must have kicked some ass because the problem didn't show up again. But the yellow light remained.

So, if using anything that is not mainstream or considered more advanced, do yourself a favour and:
test early,
test often,
test repeatedly. Received on Thu Jan 21 2010 - 17:24:04 CST

Original text of this message