Re: 10rR2 automatically re-creates missing TEMP files

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:10:19 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 21, 3:48 pm, vsevolod afanassiev
<vsevolod.afanass..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> I've done following test:
> - Brought database down using 'shutdown abort'
> - Renamed temp files to .bak
> - Started database using 'startup'
> Basically I wanted to know whether Oracle will complain about missing
> temp files or it will ignore them
> and then I'll be able to add them manually.
>
> Instead Oracle re-created the files:
>
> Thu Jan 21 16:26:57 2010
> SMON: enabling tx recovery
> Thu Jan 21 16:26:57 2010
> Re-creating tempfile /eip/db04/oracle/EIP4T/oradata/EIP4T_temp_02.dbf
> Re-creating tempfile /eip/db05/oracle/EIP4T/oradata/EIP4T_temp_01.dbf
> Database Characterset is AL32UTF8
> Opening with internal Resource Manager plan
> where NUMA PG = 1, CPUs = 8
> replication_dependency_tracking turned off (no async multimaster
> replication found)
> Starting background process QMNC
>
> This is 10.2.0.4 on AIX

Yup ... should be documented somewhere in your step by step procedures to recreate a production database all the way using rman.

My stuff starts with "create diskgroup force" ( since we are using ASM ) and ends with verifying stuff like this and recreating the spfile inside the ASM diskgroup.

This was a change from 9 where you had to create the TEMP the way you wanted it to be ... now it is remembered. Received on Thu Jan 21 2010 - 16:10:19 CST

Original text of this message