10rR2 automatically re-creates missing TEMP files

From: vsevolod afanassiev <vsevolod.afanassiev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:48:46 -0800 (PST)

I've done following test:
- Brought database down using 'shutdown abort'
  • Renamed temp files to .bak
  • Started database using 'startup' Basically I wanted to know whether Oracle will complain about missing temp files or it will ignore them and then I'll be able to add them manually.

Instead Oracle re-created the files:

Thu Jan 21 16:26:57 2010
SMON: enabling tx recovery
Thu Jan 21 16:26:57 2010
Re-creating tempfile /eip/db04/oracle/EIP4T/oradata/EIP4T_temp_02.dbf Re-creating tempfile /eip/db05/oracle/EIP4T/oradata/EIP4T_temp_01.dbf Database Characterset is AL32UTF8
Opening with internal Resource Manager plan where NUMA PG = 1, CPUs = 8
replication_dependency_tracking turned off (no async multimaster replication found)
Starting background process QMNC

This is 10.2.0.4 on AIX Received on Thu Jan 21 2010 - 14:48:46 CST

Original text of this message