Re: Move data from production schema to development schema which has some modifications

From: Mladen Gogala <no_at_email.here.invalid>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:39:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 04:49:19 -0800, Naga wrote:

> Hi Tom/Group,
>

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to DB related development, I am currently asked to come up with
> a solution to write a script or use a tool to map tables between two
> schemas and copy data from one DB to another A simple scenario would be,
> we have our production DB with the current schema, we have a change in
> structure of development DB or just change names of some columns in some
> tables. the requirement is to have a script or a tool which can backup
> the production data and copy them to the new structure of development DB
>
> Is there any way i can export data from production system, and import
> them in the modified schema(which has some column names changed or
> tables added with null value).
>
> can anyone help me in this regard as I am totally blank on how to
> proceed with this.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Nagaraj Mamedi
>
> Eagerly awaiting for the solution !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a procedure for the quick move between production and staging and is based on DBMS_DATAPUMP. You can actually do impdp from a remote database and do it from PL/SQL. Unfortunately, it is highly proprietary and I can't reveal the content of the procedure. I can only reveal its name. The procedure is called "I-95" and can move the data really, really fast. I was being cynical while writing it.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com