Re: Move data from production schema to development schema which has some modifications

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 06:37:59 -0800 (PST)

On 19 Jan, 12:49, Naga <nagaraj.mam..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom/Group,
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to DB related development, I am currently asked to come up
> with a solution to write a script or use a tool to map tables between
> two schemas and copy data from one DB to another
> A simple scenario would be, we have our production DB with the current
> schema, we have a change in structure of development DB or just change
> names of some columns in some tables.
> the requirement is to have a script or a tool which can backup the
> production data and copy them to the new structure of development DB
>
> Is there any way i can export data from production system, and import
> them in the modified schema(which has some column names changed or
> tables added with null value).
>
> can anyone help me in this regard as I am totally blank on how to
> proceed with this.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Nagaraj Mamedi
>
> Eagerly awaiting for the solution !!!!!!!!!!!!

What version of Oracle? In any case, you have inadvertently answered your own question. Oracle provides both a database import and export tool - DataPump. Look up the documentation for "impdp" and "expdp" (or "imp" and "exp" depending on your version.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/dp_overview.htm#sthref13

Once you have an idea of what you want to achieve, there are plenty of people here who will answer any further questions.

HTH -g Received on Tue Jan 19 2010 - 08:37:59 CST

Original text of this message