Re: SQLPLUS Question

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:58:36 +1100

Jeremy wrote,on my timestamp of 17/01/2010 7:24 AM:
> In article <hit6ej$phc$4_at_solani.org>, gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com says...>
>> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 18:37:24 +0000, Jeremy wrote:
>>

>>> Can you create sqlplus scripts with "conditions" such that if for
>>> example a SQL statement returns a particular value or error condition
>>> then path A or path B is followed?
>> Yes. It's called PL/SQL and is available as of the version 6.

> Is that intended to be serious answer?

I think so. Mladen is usually spot-on in his Oracle statements. And a few other areas!

PL/SQL would be my first choice as well: checking the return conditions of individual SQL and taking action accordingly is a lot easier with PL/SQL than with ksh, perl or other non-db tools. Assuming of course you want to continue to execute db commands.

This is not to say it can't be done!

Entirely up to you which way to go, probably depending on what you feel comfortable with or what you really need to do, now or in future. Received on Sun Jan 17 2010 - 01:58:36 CST

Original text of this message