Re: Specify inventory pointer location

From: The Boss <usenet_at_No.Spam.Please.invalid>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 01:49:04 +0100

zigzagdna wrote:
> On Jan 13, 5:22 pm, Sybrand Bakker <> wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:37:35 -0800 (PST), zigzagdna
>> <> wrote:
>>> I am Oracle 11g 11.1 on HP UNIX 11i. I see Oracle provides invPtrLoc
>>> in some command such as runIntaller and Opatch.
>>> -invPtrLoc $ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory/oraInst.loc
>>> However when I go to run emca to configure db control it does not
>>> recognize this parameter. I know using symbolic links one can get
>>> around it, but symbolic link requires Sys Admin help. Is there any
>>> other work around for it. I was looking for a UNIX environment
>>> variable, could not find one.
>> Is there any reason you multipost this on both and
>> this newsgroup?
>> Wouldn't it be quicker to read documentation and/or the emca cript
>> and toirecognize emca doesn't use the inventory at all?
>> Or do you really like to earn as much as possible by doing as little
>> as possible?
>> --
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA
> emca logs shows eoor that inventory cannot/etc/orainSt.log or so be
> found, so not sure whether it uses it or not.

Are you sure you are on HPUX, not on Linux? According the respective Installation Guides, HPUX uses /var/opt/oracle to store the Oracle inventory pointer file (oraInst.loc), while Linux uses /etc to do the same.
HPUX: Linux:

(In the Linux version, the first mkdir-command seems a bit odd to me; probably an error in the doc)

A similar but different workaround is described at the Pythian Blog, describing an 11g install on Ubuntu: (search for the comment made by "Alberto Tagliaferri")