Re: Quick move tablespace

From: vsevolod afanassiev <vsevolod.afanassiev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 00:22:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi bob123,

I think you approach will work, just include step to rename datafiles (after taking it offline and before recovering). In fact I remember using this method a few years ago.

Not sure why people responding saying that you need to take it offline before copying. Some time ago I needed to move a database from one server to another (same OS) with minimal downtime. I thought that physical standby database should help, but there was a minor difference in OS version. Called Oracle Support and their response was "your method will work but it is unsupported. Supported method is to shut down the database and copy files when db is down". Received on Fri Jan 08 2010 - 02:22:59 CST

Original text of this message