Re: Query with NULL

From: Randolf Geist <mahrah_at_web.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 02:52:53 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 3, 9:06 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> In 10G there is DBMS_ADVANCED_REWRITE package which can be used to
> rewrite the bad SQL even if there is no access to the source. The
> procedure in the package is "DECLARE_REWRITE_EUIVALENCE". A brief
> example is available here:

I haven't suggested this because in its present form in 10g (haven't tested it yet in newer releases, but I think these restrictions still apply) it has some limitations that don't make it suitable for OLTP like applications. In particular it doesn't support SQLs that contain bind variables and therefore it is probably not applicable to the statements mentioned here.

See Metalink (sorry, MOS) Note 392214.1

Dion Cho has also two interesting articles about this package:

http://dioncho.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/optimizing-unoptimizeable-sql-dbms_advanced_rewrite/

http://dioncho.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/dbms_advanced_rewrite-and-dml/

Regards,
Randolf

Oracle related stuff blog:
http://oracle-randolf.blogspot.com/

Co-author of the forthcoming "OakTable Expert Oracle Practices" book: http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430226684 http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Oracle-Practices-Database-Administration/dp/1430226684 Received on Mon Jan 04 2010 - 04:52:53 CST

Original text of this message