Re: Oracle 11g is it possible to set adaptive threshold for repeating AWR base lines

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 07:20:20 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 31 2009, 2:41 pm, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am on Oracle 11g Release 1 (11.1.0.7.1). Oracle 11g provides
> adapting threshold for  SYSTEM_MOVING_WINDOW AWR Baseline. However, I
> want to set these threshold for my own AWR Baseline.
>
> I defined a repeating AWR Base Line. It is not clear reading the
> documentation whether repeating AWR base line works like
> SYSTEM_MOVING_WINDOW. i.e., metrics of today Monday at 1:00PM will be
> compared with last week’s metric (last Monday at 1:00PM). If not what
> is the purpose of repeating AWR baseline.
>
> I went to Baseline Metrics Threshold, I set thresholds on Average
> Active Session using Significance Levels, it let me specify
> significance for Critical and Warning, but I do not find Threshold to
> be Adaptive. If I chose same metric and set same significance values
> for SYSTEM_MOVING_WINDOW adaptive threshold is set.
>
> So I am confused on the purpose of repeating AWR baseline.

A repeating baseline is recalculated at the specified interval for the specified window. For example you set a repeating baseline for Tuesdays between 6:00 AM and 8:30 AM. So every Tuesday at 6:00 AM a new AWR baseline is generated from statistics and data gathered until 8:30 AM that morning. You now have a current baseline with which to compare the rest of the week's workload statistics and data. Each Tuesday you get a NEW baseline. You really should read here:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28275/tdppt_degrade.htm#CACDCGGH

as it explains how repeating baselines are generated.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Jan 01 2010 - 09:20:20 CST

Original text of this message