Re: Oracle 11g r2 one node RAC

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:56:37 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 30, 6:04 am, Noons <wizofo..._at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> joel garry wrote,on my timestamp of 30/12/2009 4:13 AM:
>

> > • High Availability
>
> How, with only one node?
>
> > Failover protection for
> > database and server
> > failures
>
> Failover to WHAT, since it's a single node?

They are referring to running RAC on a single node of a cluster, so they can auto start on another node when failover.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache%3Asfmkrhr1lUIJ%3Awww.oracle.com%2Ftechnology%2Fproducts%2Fdatabase%2Fclustering%2Fpdf%2Fds-oracleraconenode-2009.pdf+http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oracle.com%2Ftechnology%2Fproducts%2Fdatabase%2Fclustering%2Fpdf%2Fds-oracleraconenode-2009.pdf&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AHIEtbSs0FJaKY-eRr6t-EuWQE_chsu5sw&pli=1

> > Operating System Rolling
> > Upgrades and Patches
>
> How?  In a single node?  I'd love to see proof...

That would be the Omotion utility. "Your search - oracle +omotion site:tahiti.oracle.com - did not match any documents. "

Funny what sites come up googling for Omotion. I still have a button from the early '80s that has a circular TKB forever and ever and ever... (referring to the DEC Task Builder, particularly its performance on Rainbow IIRC). Perhaps now we need one that says DKB forever and ever and ever and...

> > Database Rolling Patches
>
> See above
>
> > • Performance
>
> Really?  So, single node non-RAC databases perform what?  Badly?...

> > Server scalability with no
> > core limit
>
> Hmmmmm..., must be that snuff thing in action again.
> I'd love to have one of these servers they keep talking about...

> > Online load balancing and
> > scale-up
>
> And that of course is possible with a single node?

Simple, just move to a larger VM. Or two. (what was that goofy face smiley again?)

> > Online upgrade to Oracle
> > RAC
>
> At last! A smidgeon of reality...
>
> > • Support for all Oracle
> > supported platforms
>
> Ah OK: so single node non_RAC does not support all platforms that RAC supports?
>   Where is the RAC version for Mac osx then?

Glad I wasn't sipping the coffee just then...

> > • Standardized database
> > deployment across enterprise
>
> Ah yes: so, non-RAC is non-standard now?

I revel in non-conformity!

> > • Increases the benefit of
> > Oracle VM with the high
> > availability and scalability of
> > Oracle RAC
>
> How many sites out there are running production RAC dbs in a virtual
> environment?  Last time I asked back in mid2009, I got no answer...

Yeah, it's like how many DB2 environments are running 32000 linux images.

> > In my site, I don't need RAC, though there is a big push for virtual
> > environments on everything else (Virtual Iron).
>
> Same here, Jgar.  And let me say this while I'm here:
> none of the above applies to you, I understand you're just quoting.

I know, but thanks for clarifying for those who don't.

> and quite frankly, the sort of total marketing excrement above is reflecting
> very badly on Oracle's credibility as a db supplier...

This is nothing new.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus