Re: Oracle 11g r2 one node RAC

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 01:04:41 +1100

joel garry wrote,on my timestamp of 30/12/2009 4:13 AM:

> • High Availability

How, with only one node?

> Failover protection for
> database and server
> failures

Failover to WHAT, since it's a single node?

> Operating System Rolling
> Upgrades and Patches

How? In a single node? I'd love to see proof...

> Database Rolling Patches

See above

> • Performance

Really? So, single node non-RAC databases perform what? Badly?...

> Server scalability with no
> core limit

Hmmmmm..., must be that snuff thing in action again. I'd love to have one of these servers they keep talking about...

> Online load balancing and
> scale-up

And that of course is possible with a single node?

> Online upgrade to Oracle
> RAC
At last! A smidgeon of reality...

> • Support for all Oracle
> supported platforms

Ah OK: so single node non_RAC does not support all platforms that RAC supports?   Where is the RAC version for Mac osx then?

> • Standardized database
> deployment across enterprise

Ah yes: so, non-RAC is non-standard now?

> • Increases the benefit of
> Oracle VM with the high
> availability and scalability of
> Oracle RAC

How many sites out there are running production RAC dbs in a virtual environment? Last time I asked back in mid2009, I got no answer...

> In my site, I don't need RAC, though there is a big push for virtual
> environments on everything else (Virtual Iron).

Same here, Jgar. And let me say this while I'm here: none of the above applies to you, I understand you're just quoting.

and quite frankly, the sort of total marketing excrement above is reflecting very badly on Oracle's credibility as a db supplier... Received on Wed Dec 30 2009 - 08:04:41 CST

Original text of this message