Re: Oracle 11g r2 one node RAC

From: zigzagdna <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 19:35:16 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 25, 10:06 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 9:40 am, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I have read Oracle’s documentation on this new feature is 11gr2, but
> > not clear what exactly it does?http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/ug_...
> > 1.      Can I have multiple instances of same database on same node of
> > RAC. In absence of one node RAC, I will have one instance on server 1,
> > another instance on server2, etc.  If only one instance is allowed on
> > a single node, then what is the purpose of one node RAC? I am not
> > using vmware or vpar's.
>
> > 2.      During setup/configuration of  one node ARC, it asks for names of
> > other nodes/severs where database  can be moved using omotion. If I am
> > just setting up RAC for learning, I do not have any other servers to
> > specify. Is it OK not to specify any servers for omotion.
> > 3.      Assuming that I can have multiple instances of same database on one
> > node, is it necessary for me to use ASM. Is it possible to use RAW
> > devices of UNIX instead of ASM for one node RAC setup?
> > Thanks a lot.
>
> "Oracle RAC One Node is a single instance of Oracle RAC running
> on one node in a cluster. Many databases can be consolidated into a
> single cluster with minimal overhead yet providing the high
> availability benefits of failover protection, online rolling patch
> application, as well as rolling upgrades for Operating System and
> Oracle Clusterware. "
>
> Ref:http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/ds-...
>
> Much more detail is available athttp://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/rac.112/e10718/whatsnew.htm
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --- Hide quoted text -

>Oracle RAC One Node is a single instance of Oracle RAC running
> on one node in a cluster. Many databases can be consolidated into a
> single cluster with minimal overhead yet providing the high
> availability benefits of failover protection, online rolling patch
> application, as well as rolling upgrades for Operating System and
> Oracle Clusterware. "

If one can have only single instance of a database on one Node (server) and one needs another server for failover, what is differentce in one Node RAC vs two Node RAC. Why one won't want to run one instance on one Node (one server) another on another Node (on a dufferent server) I do not see any diference.

I am very confused with Oracle documentation..

If one can run several instances of a database on One Node, then it adds value. For example, one instance can have init.ora optimized for OLTP, another instance of init.ora optimezed for DSS etc, still one has just one database and one Node. Both instances can ahve thier own ORALE_HOME, one can do rolling upgrades. Received on Fri Dec 25 2009 - 21:35:16 CST

Original text of this message