Re: Oracle 11g r2 one node RAC

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 19:06:42 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 24, 9:40 am, zigzagdna <> wrote:
> I have read Oracle’s documentation on this new feature is 11gr2, but
> not clear what exactly it does?
> 1.      Can I have multiple instances of same database on same node of
> RAC. In absence of one node RAC, I will have one instance on server 1,
> another instance on server2, etc.  If only one instance is allowed on
> a single node, then what is the purpose of one node RAC? I am not
> using vmware or vpar's.
> 2.      During setup/configuration of  one node ARC, it asks for names of
> other nodes/severs where database  can be moved using omotion. If I am
> just setting up RAC for learning, I do not have any other servers to
> specify. Is it OK not to specify any servers for omotion.
> 3.      Assuming that I can have multiple instances of same database on one
> node, is it necessary for me to use ASM. Is it possible to use RAW
> devices of UNIX instead of ASM for one node RAC setup?
> Thanks a lot.

"Oracle RAC One Node is a single instance of Oracle RAC running on one node in a cluster. Many databases can be consolidated into a single cluster with minimal overhead yet providing the high availability benefits of failover protection, online rolling patch application, as well as rolling upgrades for Operating System and Oracle Clusterware. "

Much more detail is available at

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Dec 25 2009 - 21:06:42 CST

Original text of this message