Oracle 11g r2 one node RAC

From: zigzagdna <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 06:40:39 -0800 (PST)

I have read Oracle’s documentation on this new feature is 11gr2, but not clear what exactly it does?
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/ug_raconenode-2009.pdf 1. Can I have multiple instances of same database on same node of RAC. In absence of one node RAC, I will have one instance on server 1, another instance on server2, etc. If only one instance is allowed on a single node, then what is the purpose of one node RAC? I am not using vmware or vpar's.

2. During setup/configuration of one node ARC, it asks for names of other nodes/severs where database can be moved using omotion. If I am just setting up RAC for learning, I do not have any other servers to specify. Is it OK not to specify any servers for omotion. 3. Assuming that I can have multiple instances of same database on one node, is it necessary for me to use ASM. Is it possible to use RAW devices of UNIX instead of ASM for one node RAC setup? Thanks a lot. Received on Thu Dec 24 2009 - 08:40:39 CST

Original text of this message