Re: Deleting from sys.aud$

From: GaryA <garyinri_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 06:19:26 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 23, 3:49 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
> On Dec 23, 11:13 am, GaryA <garyi..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Hoping someone can explain why I am running into the issue seen
> > below.  I do a select count(*) from sys.aud$ and get one number, but
> > when I do a delete using the same where condition I get a
> > substantially different number of records to be deleted.
>
> > *******************************
> > SQL> select count(*) from sys.aud$ where userid = 'MIKE1';
>
> >   COUNT(*)
> > ----------
> >      33570
>
> > SQL> delete from sys.aud$ where userid = 'MIKE1';
>
> > 2 rows deleted.

<snip>

> > Thank you.
> > Gary
>
> Who are you connected as?  Do you have sys auditing turned on?  Do you
> have extended auditing turned on?

I have tried this connected as SYS, SYSTEM, and a user account with SELECT and DELETE privileges on SYS.AUD$. Sys auditing is false. Extended auditing is also off.

audit_sys_operations=FALSE
audit_trail=DB

> Did you query the dba_audit_trail to see if new audit rows were
> inserted because of your action to see what information these rows may
> show?
>
> Post your audit rules.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

I've discovered that if I connect "AS SYSDBA", I can delete the rows as expected. However, when I connect simply as "SYS", I get the results shown in the initial post. I'm now making an assumption that perhaps something has changed in regards to security on the AUD$ table between Oracle8 (where "AS SYSDBA" didn't seem to be required to delete the rows) and Oracle11.

 -Gary Received on Thu Dec 24 2009 - 08:19:26 CST

Original text of this message