Re: Error

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:58:50 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 22, 10:06 am, rucha <rucha.shrivast..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> how to overcome with this error???
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.3.0.0 - Production on Tue Dec 22 20:26:57 2009
>
> (c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination
>
> Whenever i write username:scott
> and                    password: tiger
> then this error occurs.
> Please help me out!!!

You apparently do not have the ORACLE_SID variable set in your environment, so Oracle is looking to remotely connect to an instance named ORCL and since there is no ORCL configured in your local tnsnames.ora file (if you even have one created) you're unable to connect. Also, there is no default user named SCOTT, nor is that user account created when creating a database. Why you're using 8.0.3 when 11.2.0 is out, 11.1.0 has been out for a while and 10.2.0 has been out even longer is a mystery. You do not mention which operating system this database runs under so it's difficult to give you instructions on how to set the ORACLE_SID variable without possibly confusing you.

You need a basic course in Oracle; you also need to know the SID of your database and if that database is running. I will not provide such a tutorial in this thread. You can read here:

http://www.cuddletech.com/articles/oracle/node12.html

and come back to ask specific questions.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Dec 22 2009 - 09:58:50 CST

Original text of this message