Re: Hey 11.2 is now out on solaris ( both flavors )

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 04:54:58 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 20, 2:26 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> Speaking of Solaris, what will happen to it? Will it survive the demise
> of SUN Microsystems or will it perish and die, just like VMS did?
> BTW, John, your nickname suggests that you're using HP-UX. Why do you car
> about Solaris?

We actually are now running all our stuff on linux these days and we ditched RAC a while ago. Just finishing an upgrade to OEL 5.4 on all our systems.

Sometimes google uses my name in postings other times it sticks out the old hpuxrac thing ...

At one point we were seriously thinking about Solaris x86_64 but I was not exactly convinced that maintenance on that platform was going to be provided on a timely basis. Plus after I was sitting in the audience at Open World the year Larry paraded all the penguins around on stage I figured it was time to start making linux plans.

In the old days new releases on hpux and solaris came out first and were well tested.

Time will tell on solaris but with 11.2 coming out on solaris before windows that is at least promising. The new big buck Exadata machine V2 I think is based on solaris maybe? Received on Sun Dec 20 2009 - 06:54:58 CST

Original text of this message