Re: DASD Disk Layout Advice

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:20:07 +1100

Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 15/12/2009 6:46 AM:

>> I just got an email from Oracle corp about how 11g can lower storage
>> costs by 10x. Clicking on the link goes to a marketing page which
>> includes this bullet point:
>>
>> Compress all types of data to minimize storage requirements
>>
>> But the stupid page overwrites "storage requirements" with a button to
>> "FIND OUT MORE". So it tells me:
>>
>> "Compress all types of data to minimize FIND OUT MORE"
>>
>> I always thought we used databases to maximize finding out things. I
>> guess less is more these days.

LOL! flash?

> Joel, you must be reading my mind. Look at the subject named
> "Compression" that I just started. As for your idea about maximizing, I
> do not subscribe to the "big is beautiful" principle. I don't subscribe
> to "size doesn't matter", either. We're talking about compression, of
> course.

I'd settle for 10g compressing partitioned tables. Unfortunately, it doesn't.
Or at least: it didn't the ones I threw at it. Which BTW compressed fine while not partitioned...

Ah well: I'm sure 11gRsomething-or-other solves all that!... Received on Tue Dec 15 2009 - 06:20:07 CST

Original text of this message