Re: Compression

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:57:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:41:16 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> The word "compression" is very fashionable these days. I find that
> strange because everybody keeps telling me how cheap disks are these
> days and yet, there is a slew of compression algorithms all around: MP3,
> MPEG-2,OGG, ZIP, BZIP2, GZIP, everything is compressed to save the
> inexpensive and cheap disk space. Oracle seems to have noticed the
> fashion so they have released a package which should produce the 11.2
> behavior. The package is called "Oracle Advanced Compression Advisor"
> and is described here:
> compression-advisor.html
> Has anybody played with that? Is there any possibility of compressing
> the table for OLTP or ("ALL OPERATIONS" in 11.1) in Oracle 10g?
> I thought of compressing this message to make it more in and
> fashionable, but the unfortunate effect would be that the message would
> be somewhat less readable. This message will, however, self-destruct in
> 5 minutes after reading.

This is an April's fool joke:

SQL> set serveroutput on
SQL> exec dbms_comp_advisor.getratio('NEWS','NEWS_PROGRAMS','OLTP',10); Invalid Compression option for the current COMPAT setting

PL/SQL procedure successfully completed. SQL> show parameter compat

compatible			     string
plsql_v2_compatibility		     boolean	 FALSE
SQL> SQL> select * from v$version;

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release - Prod PL/SQL Release - Production
CORE Production
TNS for Linux: Version - Production NLSRTL Version - Production

This doesn't give me anything. This is funny, to have my database vendor joking with me. I wonder what else there might be a joke?