Re: DASD Disk Layout Advice

From: joel garry <>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:33:20 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 12, 1:44 am, Noons <> wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 12/12/2009 9:34 AM:
> > On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:20:53 +0100, Frank van Bortel wrote:
> >> And disks are cheap, duplicate cheap, and it's still cheap. But a whole
> >> lot more certain!
> > Disks are cheap, especially somebody else is paying for them.
> Bingo!

I just got an email from Oracle corp about how 11g can lower storage costs by 10x. Clicking on the link goes to a marketing page which includes this bullet point:

Compress all types of data to minimize storage requirements

But the stupid page overwrites "storage requirements" with a button to "FIND OUT MORE". So it tells me:

"Compress all types of data to minimize FIND OUT MORE"

I always thought we used databases to maximize finding out things. I guess less is more these days.

-- is bogus.
regular expression wizard: