Re: Ocopy and Archived Logs

From: joel garry <>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:41:54 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 14, 7:50 am, Gary <> wrote:

> This section comes last in the backup script, just before the the
> logfile is switched. I'm not sure what is meant by "keeptime is longer
> than the age of the oldest archivelog"; does this mean the controlfile
> should be backed up /first/ in the script?

There is an entry in the system reference manual for an alter system command called CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME "...specifies the minimum number of days before a reusable record in the control file can be reused."

The default is 7 days, which is entirely too short for many places. Google about for opinions on how this should be set for different ways of dealing with archived logs like Personally, I set it to 30 and then figure out what it should be with management sign-off on a given retention policy.

-- is bogus.