Re: Error while rebuilding a text index

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:18:10 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 9, 8:23 pm, zigzagdna <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am using Oracle 10.2.0.3 on HP UNIX 11i. I am rebuilding a text
> index (textidx1) online
> using:
> Alter index rebuild textidx1;
> If I do a query so index is used, I get:
> ORA-29861: domain index is marked LOADING/FAILED/UNUSABLE
> Error goes away after index is completely rebuilt.
> Since I am rebuilding index online, this error should not occur,
> otherwise what
> Is the purpose of on line index rebuild? Can someone explain how to
> get rid
> o the error. I cannot  stop my application while rebuilding text

I learn something new every day: http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/text/htdocs/Index_Maintenance.html

"This will de-fragment the $X index for fastest access. If you want to be able to continue to run queries while this is happening, you should append the ONLINE keyword. "

Sometimes I learn strange things.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.